[Desktop_printing] Question for PDFA

McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Thu Jan 12 10:14:16 PST 2006

Hi,

My apologies for spreading confusion about treatment of
embedded fonts in PDF/A and PDF/is.

Yes - PDF/A requires embedded fonts - my foolish mistake -
and PDF/A became ISO 19005-1 in September 2005.

The best source for info on PDF/A is this AIIM page:

  http://www.aiim.org/standards.asp?ID=25013

The actual text of ISO DIS (Draft Int'l Std) 19005-1
is available in PDF at:

  http://www.archivists.org.au/pubs/ISO_DIS_19005-1.pdf

PDF/is _allows_ embedded fonts, but also requires that all
text be invisible (so that the text can be cut-and-pasted,
but the embedded fonts are _not_ necessary to render the
PDF document).

The PWG Candidate Standard PDF/is is this directory:

  ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/candidates/

in the file:

  cs-ifxpdfis10-20040315-5102.3.pdf

Cheers,