[Desktop_printing] Update of the Printing Summit Agenda

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Jan 11 14:39:12 PST 2006

Ralph Giles wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 12:46:25PM -0500, Michael Sweet wrote:
>
>> PostScript also supports high color depth and color management,
>> just not as easy...
>
> Do you mean the Ghostscript and Distiller extensions for describing
> transparency? Certainly another option is for us to (modulo trademarks)

No, I mean the alpha masking support built into Level 3 PostScript, and
support for 16bpp color data that has been in PostScript since the
Level 1 days.

> transparency and so on. However, given the industry support for PDF and
> the advantage of a declarative format, I don't think that's the
> direction we should go.

Agreed, however it is important to keep in mind that PDF and
PostScript share the same rendering capabilities (PDF is just
easier and more structured than PostScript).