[Desktop_printing] Update of the Printing Summit Agenda

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmx.net
Wed Jan 11 08:38:04 PST 2006

Here is the originally suggested agenda with some points mentioned on
the mailing list added:

John Cherry wrote:
> The starting point for the Open Printing Summit agenda is:
>
> 1. Making printing user friendly - it should just work
>       * Usability
>       * Consistent methods for printing, job handling, and printer
>         administration

        * "Printing as a desktop service" - non-native apps and apps
          from ISV should use standard printing dialog from KDE/GNOME
          (Kurt Pfeifle)

> 2. Hardware support
>       * Drivers and PPDs, preferably from printer manufacturers and free
>         software
>       * Plug and Print (not plug and play; plug the printer and play for
>         hours with different drivers)
>       * Auto-download and auto-install of drivers

        * Certification of printers working with distros (Waldo Bastian)

> 3. OpenPrinting.org implementation
> 4. CUPS 1.2 integration with desktops, apps, drivers, distros, etc.

  5. Transition of job transfer format from PS to PDF (Till Kamppeter,
     Mike Sweet)

      + More portable
      + High color depth, color management
      + Easy post-processing (N-up, booklet, scaling, page reordering,
        ...)
      + Transparency support
      + Smaller files
      + Better interoperability with Mac OS X
      ? Free software support: GhostScript vs. XPDF (how well
        maintained? Is newest software version free?)
      - Free software has to implement all new features which Adobe is
        adding to PDF, PostScript is "finished".

  6. Modularizing built-in drivers of GhostScript (Till Kamppeter)

      + Easy change of printing workflow without loosing hardware
        support (exchange renderer version, transfer format, simplified
        workflow for embedded ...)

  7. Did I forget anything important which we discussed on the list?

      - Please post ASAP
      - Please mention on phone meeting