[Desktop_printing] Agenda proposal: Replace PostScript by PDF asjob transfer format

Hin-Tak Leung hintak_leung at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 10 01:43:39 PST 2006

--- Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter at gmx.net> wrote:

> Another question: There are often problems with pre-processing
> PostScript (like re-ordering pages, scaling, n-up, ...) due to lack of
> DSC conformity. How easy/difficult is it to process PDF files?
>
>    Till

Yes, I think the reasons Ralph stated are better ones for switching
to pdf :-).

Reordering pages, scaling, n-up are much easier with PDF than with postscript,
I think; that's just because Adobe had learned from postscript and made pdf
having metadata for describing the overall structure, and
pdf's are also randomly seekable/navigable based on the metadata.
(the xref table at the end and what not).