[Desktop_printing] Agenda proposal: Replace PostScript by PDF as job transfer format

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Mon Jan 9 17:05:40 PST 2006

   Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 22:54:29 +0100
   From: Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter at gmx.net>

   Robert L Krawitz wrote:

   > Till, do you have a list of what devices are supported in legacy
   > Ghostscript drivers that aren't supported in some other driver (HPLIP,
   > Gutenprint, and Omni between them support a lot of printers)?  I
   > suspect that Epson impact printers are a significant fraction of the
   > list, and I suspect that it wouldn't be too hard to support them in
   > Gutenprint if someone wants to volunteer to do that.

   There are currently 92 drivers to be compiled into GhostScript with at
   least one "recommended" printer:

   ap3250 appledmp bj10e bj10vh bj200 bjc250gs bjc600 bjc800 bjc800j
   bjc880j cdj500 cdj550 chp2200 cp50 declj250 dj505j djet500 dnj650c
   eplaser* eplaser-jp* eps9high eps9mid epson epsonc escpage* fmlbp fmpr
   gdi hl1250 hl7x0 ibmpro imagen iwhi jetp3852 jj100 la50 la70 la75
   la75plus laserjet lbp310 lbp320 lbp8 lex5700 lex7000 lips2p lips3 lips4
   lips4v lj4dithp ljet2p ljet3 ljet3d ljet4 ljet4d ljetplus ln03 lp2000
   lp2563 lp8000 lq850 lx5000 lxm3200-tweaked lxm5700m lxx74 m8510 mj500c
   mj700v2c ml600 necp6 npdl* oce9050 oki182 oki4w okiibm pcl3 picty180 pj
   pjxl pjxl300 pr150 pr201 pxlmono* r4081 rpdl sj48 stcolor t4693d2
   t4693d4 t4693d8 tek4696 xes

How do you easily determine which drivers are recommended for which
printers?  It's easy enough by looking up printers in the database,
but it's a lot harder going the other way.

I would think that for all of the LaserJet printers that HPIJS or
Gimp-Print would be a good choice.  What advantage do the legacy
Ghostscript drivers provide?

I notice that the stcolor driver does support a few very old printers
that Gimp-Print doesn't.  Perhaps we could add that support (or
preferably someone else would; I don't have the time or the printers
to do this).

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton