[Desktop_printing] Agenda proposal: Replace PostScript by PDF as job transfer format

Hin-Tak Leung hintak_leung at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jan 8 15:40:20 PST 2006

Michael Sweet wrote:
<snipped>
>> Hi,
>> I may be wrong, but I believe I have come across some mention
>> of (the commercial side of) xpdf being available as a windows DLL.
>> So maybe API/library part of xpdf exists, but isn't open-source.
>> - it is possibly similiar and more restrictive to ghostscript's AFPL
>> situation - Maybe somebody on the list can investigate or elaborate?
>
> Derek *does* provide a library to his commercial customers.  The
> open source code can be turned into one with some trivial changes,
> as I've mentioned before.

Yes - I came across such usage of the xpdf code, in pdftex/pdfpage
(LaTeX package for extracting part of a pdf, etc and do LaTeX overlays).

<snipped>
> I am interested in this, mainly only to the extent that allows CUPS
> to more easily print CJK plain text files; the main stumbling block
> is the lack of freely available Type 1 fonts that can be used with
> any PostScript printer/interpreter.

There is quality, license, format and other issues. Acrobat reader's
CJK pack is commonly available but not "free"; there are some fonts
on Ken Lunde's oreilly web site for years, but not of high-quality;
The Arphic chinese trueytype fonts are a recent wellcomed addition,
the wadalab japanese fonts had been available for years; but the
japanese tend to do stuff of their own... not much idea about korean
(I can't read Korean so I don't read about how to do it
much...).

HT