[Desktop_printing] Agenda proposal: Replace PostScript by PDF as job transfer format

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Sun Jan 8 13:20:44 PST 2006

Ralph Giles wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 11:14:49AM -0500, Robert L Krawitz wrote:
>
>>    It can, but only for ICC profiles.  Robert is talking about passing
>>    in arbitrary lookup tables/curves (or at least that is the context
>>    of our previous discussions on the subject...)
>>
>> Correct -- this would be for e. g. custom linearization curves (useful
>> if you're using non-standard inks or unusual papers, or you simply
>> think that you can do a better job than we can), or GCR curves, or the
>> like.
>
> Forgive my ignorance, I thought it was possible to respresent such
> transfer functions in an ICC output profile?

It certainly is possible, but that does not make it easy... :P

In the realm of ICC support, CUPS will support *installed* profile
files (either in system locations or a distribution-specific user
directory that is linked to the system locations) - you won't be
able to embed a whole ICC profile as an option (although you can
embed the profile in the print file, but that is generally used for
input/source profiles...)