[Desktop_printing] Agenda proposal: Replace PostScript by PDF as job transfer format

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Sat Jan 7 18:23:32 PST 2006

   Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 19:45:31 -0500
   From: Michael Sweet <mike at easysw.com>

   Robert L Krawitz wrote:

   > wrong with 8 bits for a lot of things, but if the engine supports
   > 16 bits it could e. g. support color management without losing
   > too much precision.  That would save each driver from having to
   > implement color management itself.

   Right, however IMHO most drivers will still do some level of color
   management themselves, as a side-effect of the dithering/halftoning
   process.

True, although it's not clear whether it really should be necessary to
implement full ICC or what have you inside Gutenprint...

   > Would this still use PPD files, or would there be other ways of
   > exposing printer capabilities to applications?

   Still PPD files.  I don't see that changing anytime soon, and I
   think the PPD extensions I'll be demoing/presenting at the summit
   should satisfy most of your needs (if not all).

Curves???

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton