[Desktop_printing] Agenda proposal: Replace PostScript by PDF as job transfer format

Ralph Giles giles at ghostscript.com
Sat Jan 7 17:41:37 PST 2006

On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 01:14:12AM +0000, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:

> Yes, GPL 8.50 has just been released(?) (I saw it from cvs-commit
> feeds), so the difference between the GPL release with the AFPL release
> isn't that great - Ralph may like to eloborate?

Yes, it was released last monday, but it's still a year behind the AFPL
version, mostly in bugfixes, which we haven't been backporting during
8.5x.

> 3rd party enhancements to GPL gs has to be re-done for each release is
> undesirable. On the whole, I feel a switch to pdf for merely
> annoyance with AFPL license is doing it for the wrong reason.

Agreed on both points. It is a real pain to port things to the latest
GPL release, but Artifex has shown little interest in switching to GPL
for the trunk. Being outcoded by people working only on the GPL version
might change their minds, and of course people can contribute to the
AFPL version as well. But see Mike's comment on the pleasure of working
with the Ghostscript codebase...

FWIW,
 -r