[Desktop_printing] Agenda proposal: Replace PostScript by PDF as job transfer format

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Sat Jan 7 17:09:04 PST 2006

Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
>>From an outside point of view, I like to point out a few things.
> GPL-GS8.50 shows better results than Xpdf3.01 for colour images.

That might be the case today, but as someone who has worked on the
Ghostscript code for many years now, I don't think you want to base
anything new on it if you can avoid it.  The CUPS raster driver pushes
Ghostscript to its limits, and we still have PDF problems in ESP
Ghostscript to fix... :(

> As well Xpdf dont provides an API, which is the reason to split it, with

Huh?  Xpdf provides nice C++ classes; these are not exposed in a
library right now, but doing so is trivial (Derek and I have talked
about this before...)

> the poppler.freedesktop.org project as the result. As Till suggests heavy
> changes to apply the Xpdf code, it could become much work to reintroduce
> if the Xpdf developer resist to include third party work.

Let's find out if Derek is open to it before we talk doom-and-gloom.
I think if we can get him some sponsorship then it will make more
sense for him (and his business) to work with us...

> Some Xpdf cons:
> - missing API/library

See above.

> - no ICC colourmanagement / it is far away from Acroread

I believe this is no longer accurate, but it should not be hard to
add since Xpdf tracks all of the PDF resources/state.

> - missing 16-bit

I believe that Splash supports arbitrary bit depths, and the current
usage of 8 bits is due to the X11/PPM limitations, not Xpdf's.

> Just guessing:
> Could it be, that the Xpdf project has trouble to provide open source code
> and remain souvereignity with licensing at the same time?

I don't think that is the issue, but rather that Derek is getting
money for doing X and not Y.