[printing-discuss] capabilities

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmx.net
Wed Nov 7 11:10:07 PST 2001

I would suggest some additional option types (don't know yet how it is
best to propagate them with PPD files:

    CAP_UI_STRING     // PJL has string type options
    CAP_UI_INT        // PJL has integer type options
    CAP_UI_FLOAT      // GIMP-Print has several float type options

In addition many existing GhostScript drivers have int and float
options. Therefore Foomatic (www.linuxprinting.org) provides support for
them. Foomatic currently propagates these options by appending comment
lines containing the Foomatic data structure, which is naturally ignored
by programs expecting Adobe-compliant PPDs. Another approach is
expanding int and float options to enumerated options (I am currently
implementing this for Foomatic, and GIMP-Print uses this method for the
native CUPS drivers). I don't know what is best to handle string options
  (as fax numbers, user IDs, passwords, ...).

    Till