[Printing-architecture] Last OP SC - Mon/Tue - 1/2 December 2008 - The Recording

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 13:05:34 PST 2008

Hi,

InstantConference has an easy recording facility for phone meetings. If
activated, one gets a download link for an MP3 file with the recording.
I have transferred the file for the last OP Steering Committee meeting
to the OpenPrinting server:

http://www.openprinting.org/download/meetingnotes/op-steering-committee/OP-SC-Meeting-20081201.mp3

In general, recorded meetings I will upload to

http://www.openprinting.org/download/meetingnotes/

This SC Meeting was small. Only George Liu, Norm Jacobs, and me
participated. Also not very important stuff was discussed. I reported
some stuff of my activity, and Norm told about the development of the
printing part of Solaris. They take more and more of the Linux printing
stack: CUPS (should get standard with CUPS 1.4), system-config-printer
(printer setup tool), hal-cups-utils (Plug'n'Print script), ...
Foomatic, Ghostscript, HPIJS, and Gutenprint they used already. Norm
showed also interest in printer driver download from OpenPrinting for
Solaris.

I asked Norm also to tell about how successful he was with the work of
his GSoC student to implement PAPI for CUPS. Norm told that they were
not so successful and he also did not have enough time for the
mentoring. We also concluded that PAPI will most probably not adopted,
as we end up with CUPS everywhere. So we should better work more on
existing de-facto standards than creating new things with the intention
that they should get a standard in the future.

    Till

P. S.: The MP3 is 23 MB long, 73 minutes of talking.