[Printing-architecture] Some Comments/ Feedback on CPDAPI

Petrie, Glen glen.petrie at eitc.epson.com
Mon Nov 3 11:32:58 PST 2008

I have finally had some time to review the API for the

org.openprinting.PrintDialog.Manager.*****

1.	I am concerned how job/option/attributes of CPDAPI align to
JTAPI.
2.	Long term I would expect that API will grow/improve.  The "Show"
method seems to be a little to generic a method name and I could really
imagine a lot of additional "Show" methods.  Therefore, I would suggest
changing this method to "ShowDialog".  In fact, there can be a desire to
"ShowDialog" with a specific set of options/attributes being displayed
with specific option/attribute values.  So I would propose a new command
"ShowThisDialog" where the argument define the initial display state.
3.	The "SetNumberOfPages" was not initially clear to me of the
intent.  I would suggest "SetPagesToPrint" with an string argument such
that printed pages could be more complex.  I.e. SetPagesToPrint('s',
'1-3,5,7,9,10-21")  If the arguments is NULL or Negative it would print
all pages.
4.	For "AddOption": It is not clear that all vendor/application
additions can be called "options".  For pre-defined CPD
options/attributes (if there are any) how can you "AddValueToOption".
5.	For  "AddOption" and for "AddPreset": I would like to see and
strongly prompt that an initial set of options/attributes be those
defined by JTAPI.   Letting vendors/applications/developers set common
option/attribute names will result in various names for the same
option/attribute.   This will cause confusion to the end user - the last
thing Linux needs to do.
6.	I can see two major reasons for "SetOptionValue".  The first is
when the dialog is started to set the default values.  The second
reason, is the user setting of one option/attribute changes one or more
other options/attributes (coupled options/attributes).   I would like to
see an additional attribute added to the command that can be used to
highlight a "SetOptionValue".  So the "SetOptionValue('s' name, 'v'
value, ' b' highlight, out 'b' success);
7.	Many windowing system will provide a signal when a
option/attribute (actually is gui field/region/object) is selected or
deselected or moved-from.  So a signal called "OptionSelection('i'
selection); where selection takes on the values of "SELECTED",
"DESELECTED", "MOVED_FROM".  One could argue about the "MOVED_FROM".