[Printing-architecture] [Gimp-print-devel] Looking ahead to 5.3

Alastair M. Robinson blackfive at fakenhamweb.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 18:18:30 PDT 2008

Hi :)

Robert Krawitz wrote:

> Why does it have to be server-side?  The print dialog could implement
> it.

Well, this whole discussion started with the question of how gutenprint
will work with the Common Printing Dialog.

You said: "There are a lot of low level ink controls that I would be
happy to move elsewhere, but it's not clear to me where that "elsewhere"
is provided."

I'm brainstorming here - simply exploring the idea that it may fall to
Gutenprint to create that "elsewhere" for itself, out-of-band as far as
the main printing dialog goes.  Making out-of-band data available to the
print filters without requiring admin permissions is not an easy problem
to solve, but it's one that we need to solve at some point anyway, I
think, in order to support the easy creation and sharing of
linearization curves.

All the best,
--
Alastair M. Robinson