[Printing-architecture] [Printing-japan] OpenPrinting Japan June Meeting Minutes

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Wed Jun 25 16:53:45 PDT 2008

Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter at gmail.com> writes:

> Osamu MIHARA wrote:
>
>> - Icons for options and chises
>>   Icons should be switched based on language settings.
>
> As it is intended for now the icons should play more or less the role of
> icons in the menus and toolbars of desktop applications. These are
> pictograms without any text to be used with any language, so icon sets
> for different languages are not needed.
>
> Please tell me what you would like to put into icons and logos and why
> you want to have the language-dependent?

Maybe not so much language dependent but territory dependent.  While
the hardware advertises itself as the same thing everywhere, things
like model name (as printed on the box) and icons may vary between
territories.

One example is the USB device with vendor/product ID: 04b8/083f.  It
sold as a:

  Epson Stylus CX4300
  Epson Stylus CX4400
  Epson Stylus CX5500
  Epson Stylus CX5600
  Epson Stylus DX4400

depending on where on earth you buy the thing.  With respect to the
icons I do believe that this model uses different icons in different
territories as well.  If this one doesn't, I have seen models that do
(but can't recall any names :-().

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                   FLOSS Engineer -- AVASYS Corporation
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/