[Printing-architecture] Suggestion for a small change in yourdesign for the Common Printing Dialog

Petrie, Glen glen.petrie at eitc.epson.com
Tue Jun 3 08:47:49 PDT 2008

Can we consider using the 80-20 rule.  In 80% (95%) of the time a user
will "print the entire document", "print the current page" or "print a
single range".   More complex "range of page selections" could be
handled in special tab (or what ever method is currently being used for
advanced feature selection).  Now the input interface in the preview
area can be reduced to a single edit box for the end page along with
back/forward page arrows.  For "print all pages" the preview shows the
first page of the document and the edit field has the last page number.
For "print a single range" the user uses the arrow keys to get the first
page of the range they want to print and enters the end page numbering
the edit field.  An advanced mode of the edit field is that the user can
enter the page range as "5-70".  And finally, for "print the current
page", the user uses the arrow keys to get the page they wants and
enters the same page number in the edit field.  Again, the edit field
could accept "75" so that only page "75" is printed.  One could also
have a simple button to "print this page".

glen