[Printing-architecture] LF Collaboration Summit Open Printing Minutes from Glen Petrie

Klaus Singvogel kssingvo at suse.de
Wed Apr 23 11:08:48 PDT 2008

Till Kamppeter wrote:
[...]
> > --- Glen is worried of extensibility of the dialog for manufacture.
> >

> Manufacturer extensions cannot be done by means of executable code, as
> printer drivers run on the server and server and client can be different
> architectures. Manufacturer extensions can only be done by PPD options,
> the custom options of CUPS allow extended data formats.
[...]

I agree.

But want to point out that manufacturers should also keep in mind,
that there is no _our_ nor any _single_ printer on _the_ only USB
port.

Means: LSB team should remember manufacturers regularly to avoid using
a direct communication to "/dev/usb/lp*" (or similar) to a printer in
their drivers.

Thanks in advance.

Kindly regards,
	Klaus.
--
Klaus Singvogel  -  Maxfeldstr. 5  -  90409 Nuernberg  -  Germany
Phone: +49-911-74053-0