[Printing-architecture] Optimizing MicroJobTicket - JTAPI 'native' symbols - second n ote

Petrie, Glen glen.petrie at eitc.epson.com
Tue Apr 1 10:40:42 PDT 2008

Ira,

Is coherence, at the level we are discussing needed or wanted?  Or is what
is needed/wanted is a translation mechanism to "seamlessly move between
job-ticket representation"?

Coherence to me and in this context would mean consuming any job-ticket
format and outputting a common (read as coherent) job-ticket representation.

          JDF -----\
                   \
          MJT ----->---->>> common job-ticket representation
                   /
          XYZ JT --/

A translation mechanism says "take what I got and give me something I can
use".

          JDF <<<<<<<<
                      ^  MJT becames a JDF
          MJT >>>>>>>>^

          XYZ JT --/

I believe in coherence but I also believe the world only needs/wants
translation.

Therefore, the project as I proposed uses JTAPI to create the translation
service; as I believe was the originally intended.  When you add the concept
of a binary (internal) job-ticket representation writer/reader you can
achieve a small degree of coherence or at least start a path to coherence.

I also designed the project to accept only a few variations of a MJT.  This
is so Lars would not have to process all the possible attribute values of a
MJT (read this as IPP).  He only needs to concentrate on the one in the
pre-defined MJTs and focus his development time on the core JTAPI code.  I
had to scope the project as a summer project but tried to figure out how to
structure the activity so that is could continue afterwards.

Therefore, let's leave MJT as is.   I actually picked MJT because I
understood it to be simplified job-ticket based on IPP and PWG content.

gwp

p.s.

Isn't defining the second standard suggested below creating another
job-ticket format?  If we are going to do that then I would rather spend the
time create the specification for the binary (internal) job-ticket
representation discussed above.

gwp