[Printing-architecture] [lsb-discuss] LSB 4.0 and printing

Klaus Singvogel kssingvo at suse.de
Thu Mar 27 01:48:30 PDT 2008

Till Kamppeter wrote:
> What can be added without problems is SANE, as this is in every common
> distro and with the strong trend on multi-function devices it is very
> important for hardware vendors to make driver packages. It also allows
> to expand the initiative on distribution-independent driver packages to
> scanners (including stand-alone devices).

The question is for me, if SANE will become a mandatory package
or will it be an optional package only (btw. is there any such
concept in the LSB?).

The background I'm asking is not hard to understand. Running a few
servers, where no users are sitting in front of, I've no need to do
things like scanning or similiar. But the SANE package is a pretty
large one, and therefore it's bloating the disk usage only without
any further advantage.

Kindly regards,
	Klaus.
--