[Printing-architecture] [lsb-discuss] Google Summer of Code 2008 -- LAST CALL: Submissionof the application

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 09:16:21 PDT 2008

Wichmann, Mats D wrote:
>> Ideas list:
>>
>> 1. LSB project proposals removed, Russ has withdrawn his some minutes
>> ago, and George did not post a description.
>
> I can expand on the dynamic checker stuff as discussed on the email,
> but I'm not that convinced this is a good SoC project either.

We can still add project proposals up to the beginning of the student's
application period, March 24.

>> 3. Describe your organization.
>>
>> The Linux Foundation is a nonprofit consortium dedicated to fostering
>> the growth of Linux. Founded in 2007
>
> I tend to mention that it's a successor organization and isn't
> really "brand new" just a year ago - this work has been going
> on for a long time.  Don't know if that matters for the application
> or not.  I will say for Questions 5/6, just for your information,
> that /FSG/ did apply in a past year, but was not accepted for a
> funded project. It wasn't last year, perhaps the year before.

I could simply say

The Linux Foundation is a nonprofit consortium dedicated to fostering
the growth of Linux. Founded in 2007 _as a merger of the former Free
Standards Group (FSG) and the former Open Source Developer Lab (OSDL)_,
the LF sponsors the work of Linux creator Linus Torvalds and is
supported by leading Linux and open source companies and developers from
around the world. The Linux Foundation  promotes,  protects and
standardizes Linux by providing unified resources and services needed
for open source to successfully compete with closed platforms.

Questions 5 and 6 I will leave blank.

>> 7. What license does your project use?
>>
>> All the work produced by the Linux Foundation is free software
>> according to the OSI definitions, but there is no requirement for a
>> specific license. The licenses are selected depending on what is most
>> suitable for each individual project.
>>
>> *LSB: mostly GPL, some tools Artistic
>
> and specification is GFDL.

GFDL is not in the list of the OSI-conforming licenses:

http://www.opensource.org/licenses/alphabetical

    Till