[Printing-architecture] Next OP SC - Mon/Tue - 3/4 March 2008

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 13:31:37 PST 2008

Agenda for the next OpenPrinting Steering Committee Meeting:

The Google Summer of Code 2008
------------------------------

the Google Summer of Code 2008 got announced these days:

http://code.google.com/soc/2008

The application period for mentoring organizations is March 3 - 12.
Fortunately, our Steering Committee meeting is not at the end of the
application period this time.

It would be great if this year we get some implementation work done by
means of the Google Summer of Code. My ideas for student projects are:

  * libjtapi: C implementation of JTAPI to be shipped by Linux
    distribution and Unix operating systems.
  * PAPI integration in CUPS: Seems that no one is working on that
    currently
  * Filling the holes in the PDF workflow with CUPS: It is still not
    determined who will code the CUPS filters pdftoraster, texttopdf,
    pdftoijs
  * Common Printing Dialog: Coding on the dialog designed by
    OpenUsability, for KDE and/or GNOME
  * OpenPrinting database: Web-based (CGI) software for efficiently
    reviewing and triaging user-contributed printer entries and comments
    and integrating them into OpenPrinting XML database (Foomatic
    database). Also to join duplicates and to remove bad entries.

Please post your ideas up to Monday, March 10 at the latest, so that we
have time to include them in our application.

As agreed with Jeff Licquia, the Linux Foundation will enter as one
mentoring organization, with projects from all workgroups, especially
also LSB. If no one objects I will be the admin of the Linux Foundation
GSoC project and Jeff Licquia will be the backup admin.

Please enter your project ideas on

https://www.linux-foundation.org/en/Google_Summer_of_Code

Note that the project descriptions need to be more detailed, please
start directly with more detailed versions. We need to attract students
with them.

If you want to be a mentor for one of the student projects, get yourself
a Google/GMail account. This is needed for our application.

On the Steering Committee Meeting we will coordinate our application,
with which projects we will enter, who will mentor them, ...

What about opening this meeting also for the LSB and other Linux
Foundation folks for them participating with their projects?

    Till