[Printing-architecture] [Printing-summit] Google Summer of Code 2008: Application period for mentoring organizations: March 3-12

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 15:35:21 PST 2008

Jeff Licquia wrote:
> Till Kamppeter wrote:
>> As agreed with Jeff Licquia, the Linux Foundation will enter as one
>> mentoring organization, with projects from all workgroups, especially
>> also LSB.
>
> [...]
>
>> Should we schedule a conference call about the application for the
>> Google Summer of Code?
>
> We probably should.

I suggest Wed March 5, 9pm CET (3pm Eastern, noon Pacific). This was the
time when we had regular meetings of the OpenPrinting workgroup.

> As it turns out, it seems likely that OpenPrinting
> will have far more GSoC projects than LSB will have; there's even the
> possibility that the LSB will have none.
>
> So we should decide how we will coordinate the LF GSoC application as a
> mentoring organization in order to ensure maximum success.

If there is at least one non-OpenPrinting project, the mentoring
organization will be the Linux Foundation, otherwise it should perhaps
better be OpenPrinting.

According to our GSoC page

https://www.linux-foundation.org/en/Google_Summer_of_Code

there are non-OpenPrinting projects.

We should also have a look at

http://code.google.com/soc/2008/faqs.html#0.1_org_apply

and answer all these 17 questions in the list, so that we can submit the
application in time and so that we have good chances to be accepted.

I could do the admin's or backup admin's job as OpenPrinting is one of
the main contributors of projects. I will also be mentor of some of my
suggested projects.

We also need to do some more detailed project descriptions to be more
attractive to students applying for a project.

So let's prepare our application.

    Till