[packaging] Towards trusted third party repositories

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Wed Oct 8 06:15:43 PDT 2008

Dan Kegel wrote:

> I think something like this is going to be needed
> before we can have a thriving -- and safe --
> ecosystem of ISVs providing
> easily-downloaded-and-installed binary packages
> for Linux.
>
> What do people think about the package namespacing
> idea?

As you know, the LSB describes a namespacing concept
for package names, plus a way to gain access to it in
a safe way through LANANA registration (which frankly
has not been as smooth as one would like).  But it's
not enforced.  LSB says nothing of repositories.

The idea of "enforcing" namespace cleanliness (and
otherwise falling back to a more restrictive mode)
through repository tools is an intriguing one!