[Openais] [announce] freezing flatiron(1.y.z) branch - opening weaver's needle branch (2.y.z)

Steven Dake sdake at redhat.com
Wed Jun 9 15:35:41 PDT 2010

The rate of change for Corosync has been high for some time since 1.0.0
was published in July 2009.  Nearly every Linux distribution is shipping
projects or products based upon the Corosync 1.y.z series.  To provide
some sanity for downstream distributions and projects using Corosync
APIs, we are halting feature development for the flatiron branch.

 From this point forward, with the exception of two self-contained
features, only bug fixes will be merged into the flatiron branch.  The
exception features are:
* "udpu" or a transport mode which allows operation in non-multicast
environments.
* a multicast validation tool to validate the deployment multicast
environment

Some features which users have requested, such as automatic redundant
ring recovery and snmp will be pushed to our next X release because they
could be disruptive to the stability of Corosync.  Based upon my current
experience with distro adoption and experiences with the field, Corosync
is ready for production deployments with the exception of the redundant
ring feature.  I recommend those Corosync 1.2.4 deployments seeking
redundant ring support to use bonding.

The needle branch is now available for merges from trunk in the repo.

Regards
-steve