[Openais] flow control and merge recovery

Steven Dake sdake at mvista.com
Thu Sep 23 15:53:56 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 15:29, Mark Haverkamp wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 14:04, Steven Dake wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 13:47, Mark Haverkamp wrote:
>

> > > So, would I call gmi_send_ok()/gmi_mcast() until I could send no more?
> > > Couldn't I still do that without the token callback?
> > >

> > Yup it could be done without the token callback.  The advantage of the
> > token callback is that it will specify when it makes sense to do
> > gmi-send_ok/gmi_mcast again to finish the recovery.
>
> Are you working on this callback code now?  Also, looking at gmi_mcast,
> it seems to either return success (0) or assert.  Would it be reasonable
> to have gmi_mcast call gmi_send_ok, and return status if it can't queue
> the message?

I have not started the callback code..  It should be pretty simple to
add..  If you want to use this mechanism, I'll add it in.  Ideas on the
interface?  Something like:

gmi_fc_open_create (void *handle, int (*callback_fn), void *data);
gmi_fc_open_destroy (void *handle);
(flow control opened register/unregister)

if callback_fn returns -1, no more callbacks will be called.  This would
indicate the outgoing queues are full.  If callback_fn returns 0, more
callbacks would be called until all have been called or -1 is returned.

If a new configuration change comes while fc_open_destroy is pending,
call destroy to start the recovery over (with a new data element).

We can make gmi_mcast not assert, but we have to be careful.  The assert
is in there to catch bugs..  If a caller calls gmi_mcast, and the
message can't be queued, then in every case in the current openais that
is a serious bug.  This shouldn't happen today with the flow control
code (which is why there is an assert there).

If we change the semantics of gmi_mcast, by allowing it to fail to queue
without asserting, we should be careful to either handle return values
(in the case of recovery) or assert where a -1 return value shouldn't
happen.

So most of the gmi_mcast calls would be somethign like:

res = gmi_mcast (...)
assert (res == 0);

for all of the services, except in the case where a res of -1 can be
handled (such as merge recovery).

Regards
-steve