[lsb-discuss] Init Script Example

Olaf van der Spek olafvdspek at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 12:32:11 PST 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 6:13 PM, Stew Benedict
<stewb at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> Sorry. Perhaps I miscommunicated. My intent wasn't to provide a generic
> example that becomes part of the spec. That would be a bigger issue,

It doesn't need to be part of the spec, but right now it's unfindable
as it's not linked from anywhere but the list archive.

> involving either making it's way into the next LSB release or some sort
> or errratum to the spec. As things stand now, I don't think we much in
> the way of examples as part of the specification. My intent was only to
> make the one thing we *do* have that approximates a vendor neutral
> example (the init script in lsb-apache) a more complete example, which I
> did.
>
> A bug can certainly be opened to include a "pure" generic example as
> part of the spec, although in practice, at least from testing the apache
> one, a certain amount of cross platform testing is probably still needed
> to go from generic to functional across several distributions. With
> alternate init systems coming online now, there may be new issues too.

That's why IMO the spec should be improved such that init scripts for
simple daemons are simple and are far more likely to work.

--
Olaf