[lsb-discuss] FHS-type question - where to put modifiable data shared by all users?

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Wed Apr 22 14:44:12 PDT 2009

David Bruce wrote:

> This would be the "./configure; make; sudo make install" build from
> the source tarball.  From reading the FHS I thought it would be
> /var/local/tuxtype, and indeed there is an (empty) /var/local on this
> Debian machine, but perhaps /var/local isn't widely adopted?

I don't see it by default on other things, but that doesn't
mean it's not a precedent-in-the-making :)

Probably important to study systems that have protection
systems, such as selinux, to find out where they'll by
default allow writable files and where they'll have
a hairball, and/or whether you'll need to think about
how to provide setup for that.  The "FHS Group" should
know such things but at the moment we'll just hope
someone pipes up with personal knowledge.