[lsb-discuss] FHS-type question - where to put modifiable data shared by all users?

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Wed Apr 22 09:34:50 PDT 2009

> I could have the installation create a user account for tuxtype and
> make its home visible to all users, but my understanding is that such
> a practice is discouraged.

I think you will need a tuxtype user anyway to manage file permissions
(and probably a small setuid tuxtype helper to add words). Without that
it will rather hard to stop children doing things like

	echo "Teachers suck" >> /var/state/tuxtype/extrawords

> Another possibility is to put it under /var, although the typical use
> of /var (log files and caches) seems a little different than what I
> have in mind.

Var seems to me the right place to put it - probably /var/lib/