[lsb-discuss] Re: Standarized Menu System / Hierachy

Havoc Pennington rhp at zirx.pair.com
Sat Jun 7 12:16:45 PDT 2003

On Sat, 7 Jun 2003, Heinrich Wendel wrote:

> There has been a lot of discussion about a standarized Menu System in the last
> month and years ([1][2][3][4][5][6][7][8][9]), but it seems that there has not
> been done very much work until now.

Not true - Waldo has implemented the new menu spec for KDE, and over the
last month I've gotten it working for GNOME also, though I have not added
it to GNOME builds yet.  It's in the desktop-file-utils module on
freedesktop.org

I also have an outstanding patch to add WindowMaker support to
desktop-menu-tool, and XFCE has expressed interest in using this codebase.

There's a good bit of work that could still be done; for example, I have a
very incomplete test setup intended to validate that a menu system
implementation produces the right results, and someone could add a lot
more tests there and hook the major implementations up to it.
Distributions could then use this suite to validate correctness before
they ship. That would certainly be useful.

Havoc