[linux-pm] [RFC] OMAP: McBSP not working if CONFIG_PM_RUNTIME not set

Kevin Hilman khilman at ti.com
Tue Jun 7 14:17:49 PDT 2011

Janusz Krzysztofik <jkrzyszt at tis.icnet.pl> writes:

> Hi,
>
> While solving this problem:
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-omap/msg52011.html,
> I found that since commit e95496d4acadd0b72c4947be61e8d44700fdaae7,
> "OMAP: McBSP: Add pm runtime support", McBSP ports, or at least McBSP1
> on my Amstrad Delta, no longer work when CONFIG_PM_RUNTIME is not set.
> Even if I don't use such setup and always select CONFIG_PM_RUNTIME, I
> think current behaviour is wrong and should be corrected.
>
> Before I come out with a patch, please advise if and how you think this
> should be solved. Should CONFIG_OMAP_MCBSP depend on CONFIG_PM_RUNTIME?
> Or should it select CONFIG_PM_RUNTIME? Or maybe an old code which
> manipulated clocks directly should be restored for no CONFIG_PM_RUNTIME
> case? Or should arch/arm/mach-omap1/pm_bus.c be always built in and
> pm_runtime_clk_add_notifier() called from there in order to enable
> clocks on device initialization even if CONFIG_PM_RUNTIME is not set? Or
> still a better solution?

You're on the right track already.

Yes, the notifier init should be done even on the !PM_RUNTIME case so
that clocks are enabled when the device is added and disabled when the
device is removed.

Can you try the patch below (only compile tested)

If it works, and with your Tested-by, I'll queue this as a fix for
v3.0-rc.

Thanks,

Kevin