[linux-pm] Acer Aspire 1690 Suspend/Hibernate Report with 2.6.29-rc3

Alan Stern stern at rowland.harvard.edu
Thu Jan 29 12:47:27 PST 2009

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Jan 2009, Daniel Qarras wrote:
> >
> > > https://lists.linux-foundation.org/pipermail/linux-pm/2009-January/019225.html
> > >
> > > Hmm. Does suspend/resume (STR) have the same issue? Or is
> > > this purely a hibernation thing?
> >
> > Only with hibernation, suspend stays put.

> > > Sounds suspiciously like auto-suspend getting turned off.
> > > What's surprising is that it was on in the first place - I thought
> > > we defaulted to autosuspend off (for non-hub devices) regardless of
> > > any suspend issues.
> >
> > FWIW, I have usbcore.autosuspend=1 in grub.conf...
>
> Ahh. Can you try removing that, and see if it causes that whole
> hibernation thing?

I doubt it will make any difference.  That parameter setting merely
changes the delay time before an idle device is autosuspended from its
default value (2 seconds) to 1 second.

Besides, the real problem isn't autosuspend at all, as far as I can
tell.  The first problem is that the computer wakes up immediately
after going into hibernation.  The second problem is that the computer
wakes up from suspend immediately when a USB mouse is plugged in.

> And it does sound like we probably then ignore your autosuspend
> preferences at resume time and force it off. Adding Alan and Greg to the
> cc, since they may actually know what is up..

I don't know what's causing the first problem (which has been around
since 2.6.24).  Maybe a firmware bug.  Perhaps doing "rmmod ehci-hcd"
before hibernating will help.

To attack the second problem, it would help to see a dmesg log showing
the immediate wakeup from a kernel with CONFIG_USB_DEBUG enabled.

Alan Stern