[linux-pm] BISECTED: 2.6.29-rc2 regression: hibernation hang on eeepc-701

Alan Jenkins alan-jenkins at tuffmail.co.uk
Sat Jan 24 03:15:17 PST 2009

Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Friday 23 January 2009, Alan Jenkins wrote:
>
>> Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

>>> OK, it won't hurt to apply it.
>>>
>>> Still, the hardware or the BIOS in your box seems to be broken, or both, so I'd
>>> like to debug it a bit more if you don't mind.
>>>
>>> Can you please test the patch below instead of the previous one?
>>>

>> It hangs at the same point as the unpatched RC2.  As before, it doesn't
>> hang if I use "shutdown" instead of "platform".
>>
>> Going by sysfs, I have 4 PCI devices without a kernel driver.
>>
>> 8086:2592   Mobile 915 Express Graphics Controller
>> 8086:2792   Mobile 915 Express Graphics Controller (driven by X)
>> 8086:2448   82801 Mobile PCI Bridge
>> 8086:2641   82801FBM (ICH6M) LPC Interface Bridge
>>

> The bridges shouldn't be affected, so I bet on the graphics.
>
> It seems that the BIOS doesn't expect it to be in D3 while entering S4,
> although it apparently doesn't mind it to be in D3 while entering S3.
>
> I blame the Asus BIOS writers. ;-)

Wouldn't Windows normally put it into D3?  There are many reports of
successful hibernation under Windows on this hardware.  The motivation
being that S3 drains the battery in <24 hours.  (Fewer people hibernate
on linux because you only have a 4G SSD, so a swap partition wastes a
lot of space, and most installers can't set up swap files).

Also it sounds like it would break when the linux kernel mode setting
driver is used.  I thought kernel mode setting was going to make suspend
_more_ reliable :-).

So in the long term I think we either need to find a more specific root
cause, or implement a PCI quirk for this quirky machine.

Thanks
Alan