[linux-pm] git mv (was Re: [git pull] ACPI & Suspend patches for 2.6.29-rc0)

Sam Ravnborg sam at ravnborg.org
Fri Jan 9 13:27:57 PST 2009

> So yeah, "--follow" is broken. It's really a quick hack there for people
> who come from some other SCM to feel more comfy with git. If you come from
> SVN or CVS, you never had proper history, and you never had "gitk" anyway,
> and so "gitk --follow" doesn't really work. But it makes the pure
> _textual_ logs look a bit like CVS/SVN.
>
> I'd love to make --follow work better and integrate more, but I've been so
> successful at never using it myself that I don't much care. And it really
> is not a very natural thing for git to do, so the hackiness is somewhat
> inherent.

What other ways exist so I can see what the heck davem did to
arch/sparc64/kernel/irq.c then?

I know he added IRQ stacks - but how did the patch look like?
I know no other way to find the old history than to do:

    git log --follow arch/sparc/kernel/irq_64.c

But this also give me what I want. I'm just curious if there is
a better way - in the case where you know the old name.

	Sam