[linux-pm] [RFD] Automatic suspend

Pavel Machek pavel at ucw.cz
Fri Feb 27 12:46:15 PST 2009

On Fri 2009-02-27 11:09:45, Chris Friesen wrote:
> Pavel Machek wrote:
>> On Mon 2009-02-23 15:04:22, Oliver Neukum wrote:
>
>>> We can just as well have a class of tasks less important than power
>>> saving. They'd just run when power saving is not active for some other
>>> reason. Just like other such schemes we end up with the problem
>>> of priority inversion with locking.
>>
>> Ok, I guess this could be interesting in some cases... maybe. What are
>> real examples of such tasks?
>
> Some people might put casual system monitoring tools into this
> category--top, xload, gkrellm, xclock, etc.

I guess system monitoring should stop itself when screen is
blanked... no need to compute list of processes if user can't see the
output.

But I see that may be slightly hard for command-line tool like
top. .... but it still seems like right solution. Why waste power/cycles
displaying xclock at tty9 when user is looking at tty10?

> It'd be nice if the animated banner ad in my web browser could be
> treated this way. :)

Well, my web browser already has an option 'animate once'. No need to
waste power with that at all :-).
							Pavel