[linux-pm] [RFD] Automatic suspend

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Fri Feb 20 15:45:48 PST 2009

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 12:40:48AM +0100, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> We can't do the quirks from the kernel and that's one of the reasons why I
> think user space should start automatic suspend (it can do the quirks if
> necessary).

Any sort of automatic suspend is simply impossible in a world where your
drivers don't work properly. There's code for making intel and radeon
handle suspend/resume themselves now, and nvidia before g80 should also
be easy. More recent nvidia is going to be some work.

But yeah. Let's not have "Work around broken drivers" as a design goal.
The argument against timeouts in wakelocks works just as well here.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org