[linux-pm] [RFD] Automatic suspend

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Wed Feb 18 09:52:44 PST 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 09:48:04AM -0800, Jesse Barnes wrote:

> I think "powernag" would be a better name, and it would probably work pretty
> well.  Users would be notified that certain apps should probably be shut down
> while they're on battery, and nag the authors to fix it.

How do you usefully tell the difference between an application that's
waking up a lot because it's dumb and an application that's waking up a
lot because it's doing something useful? One downside of powertop is
that it's resulted in a lot of "How do I reduce the number of wakeups
caused by i8042 whenever I use the mouse"-type questions. We don't want
innocent app writers to be hit by this kind of thing.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org