[linux-pm] [RFD] Automatic suspend

Woodruff, Richard r-woodruff2 at ti.com
Tue Feb 17 15:28:32 PST 2009

This is good example of embedded ARM time scales not matching up with x86 ones.  For OMAP3 our resumption from OFF mode (full SOC context lost) software budget was in the 10s of milliSeconds.  There is no BIOS and we must generate most of the code.

As such very frequent fast OFF mode transitions are useful and possible.  As I said in another part of the thread, the slow part is Voltage ramp time. Also clock setup time of external oscillator can be 5-10mS by itself.

This tight timing was the requirement of some modems which required a response ASAP when data was coming.  Not every modem is so tight but some are.

Regards,
Richard W.