[linux-pm] suspend slow in 2.6.25-rc6 (was Re: Suspend and hibernation patchset against -rc6)

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at hmh.eng.br
Thu Mar 20 08:19:31 PDT 2008

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008, Pavel Machek wrote:
>     Also, for polling mode to work on Acers, we need
>     to insert a delay.

Can we, in the future, always trigger any such performance damaging "fixups"
based on DMI white/black lists?  As a rule?

This is not the first time I see a vendor push broken crap, and everyone
else who did it right get the shaft, because people don't like to add
quirks to common code.  We get performance enhancement features disabled,
mdelays added...

And for the do-as-windows-does crowd, they do it on vendor­issued device
drivers, which obviously don't hork everyone else's devices.  Our equivalent
solution is to key things to DMI matches.   This is worth keeping in mind,
because the ACPI subsystem seems to be a common target for such bad
behaviour.

  Henrique Holschuh