[linux-pm] suspend slow in 2.6.25-rc6 (was Re: Suspend and hibernation patchset against -rc6)

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Tue Mar 18 17:40:38 PDT 2008

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008, Pavel Machek wrote:

> It will take a while. My .git directory is 7G, and I'd like to do a
> backup before playing with git.

Ouch, what have you done? It should be about 200MB, not 7GB.

> git gc does not exist here, so I guess I need to update git, too :-(.

Well, even with old git you can just do

	git repack -a -d

and in your case you'll probably have to leave it running overnight,
because it's going to take hours since you've clearly not ever repacked it
before and as a result it's going to do lots and lots of IO (all that 7GB
and then read much of it twice).

But yeah, upgrading git first is probably a good idea regardless.

> commit 7c0ea45be4f114d85ee35caeead8e1660699c46f
>
>     ACPI: Ignore _BQC object when registering backlight device
>
> when did this go in? Pretty recently, right?

Yes:

	[torvalds at woody linux]$ git describe 7c0ea45be4f114d85ee35caeead8e1660699c46f
	v2.6.25-rc5-89-g7c0ea45

so it happened after -rc5.

> And that means that ACPI backlight driver is now used on machines where
> it was not used before...?

Somebody more into ACPI needs to judge how likely this is to be an issue..

		Linus