[linux-pm] shrinking memory for suspend?

Paul Mackerras paulus at samba.org
Fri May 4 03:49:23 PDT 2007

Rafael J. Wysocki writes:

> IMO, the freezing of user space and the freezing of kernel threads are two
> different issues.  While the freezing of user space is pretty straightforward,
> the freezing of kernel threads is difficult.

In general I agree, but now that we have FUSE, plus the framework for
doing device drivers in userspace (I have forgotten its name), it gets
even more complicated because some userspace processes are now doing
the sorts of things that kernel threads do.

This is relevant for me because I use encfs regularly, and encfs is
based on FUSE.  What happens if there is an encfs filesystem mounted,
and we freeze all userspace processes and then do a sys_sync()?  Does
the system wait forever for the encfs filesystem to write out its
dirty data?

Paul.