[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] memory management / low memory situations handling

Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz b.zolnierkie at samsung.com
Fri Jun 29 14:24:35 UTC 2012

Hi,

I'd like to attend this year's Kernel Summit to discuss various memory
management related topics, especially involving low memory situations
happening on mobile devices.  The areas of interest include:

* Low memory notification alternatives to mechanisms provided by control
groups memory controller, i.e. vmevent.

* Control groups usage in embedded devices.  Extending memcg to allow
per-group OOM handler.

* Timeout based low memory killer that I've been working on recently
for Tizen platform.  The main idea is to divide processes on "deamon"
and "application" classes and also further dividing "application" class
on "foreground"/"background" applications.  The low memory killer would
then preemptively kill selected processes that have been in "background"
state for some given timeout time making sure that there is enough
memory free in the system for "active" and new applications.

* Memory monitoring using existing /proc/$pid/[s]maps, /proc/$pid/pagemap
and /proc/kpage* interfaces and also enhancing existing interfaces to
provide more insight into the current memory state (i.e. to include data
about pageblocks changes, memory fragmentation etc).  Possibly also
adding tracing events to some parts of memory management code.

* Memory defragmentation methods and limitations of the current memory
compaction code.

As for expertise that I bring: I've been developing device drivers for
a couple of years and I was IDE subsystem maintainer for the most of
the 2.6.x era.  Currently I'm working on memory management on embedded
devices and addressing various drivers/platform/core issues related to
support for Samsung SoCs series.

Best regards,
--
Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz