[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] Your upstream maintainer just isn't that into you...

Steven Rostedt rostedt at goodmis.org
Fri Jun 29 02:56:44 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-06-26 at 16:52 -0700, Greg KH wrote:

> Hint, you can sort the emails and have mutt write them out properly.
>
> Short example of how I do this:
> 	tag the email thread to save:	Esc t
> 	save them all to a new mbox:	; s ~/linux/work/s
> 	quit mutt
> 	open the new mbox:		mutt -f ~/linux/work/s
> 	sort the messages:		o s
> 	select them all:		ESC t
> 	write them back out:		; s ~/linux/work/s
> 	quit mutt
> 	then apply the mbox:		git am -s ~/linux/work/s

This makes me not feel so bad for not using mutt much. I use Evilution
just because it seems to work for me. I read LKML with mutt, but all my
work and personal email is read with the bloat MUA.

As for patch series, I never do the git am on a mbox of more than one
patch. I review the patch, and then run the evolution filter command
that sends the patch to my devel box, where I have a script to pull it
in. I found review then pull, review then pull, works best for me. If I
come across a patch I don't like, or where the entire series needs to be
reverted, that's easy enough to revert it from git.

I sometimes save off those pulls into a temp branch, when I expect a new
series. I can just pull in the patches I already reviewed, and do a diff
against the tree that has the reviewed changes to make sure nothing
changed.

> Wow, that looks complex, I swear that all really just takes me less than
> a minute to do, my mutt muscle memory must be deep.
>
> > Either way, would like to see a short session of "Greg KH's
> > workday compressed in 5 minutes." to educate myself.
>
> Ok, fair enough, I can do that.

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure 5 minutes would cut it. I know you are
thinking, "this isn't much to talk about" but I bet it could fill an
entire KS session.

Maybe not just the way you do it, but perhaps get a good discussion on
ways maintainers can handle patches. Everyone seems to have their own
way of doing things, but I bet there's ideas one person has that others
will think "damn, I should do it that way".

I'm horrible at maintaining patches. When I get a patch, I mark it as
'todo' and then go on to other tasks for the day. I usually forget about
that patch, and once every so often, I search my 'todo' list to see if
there's a patch to process. But patches even fall through the cracks
there. Every other week, I start purging my INBOX starting from months
ago. And every so often, I find a patch that was missed, and then
process it. It's embarrassing when I'm pulling in someone's patch from 4
months ago.

People are afraid to ping you sometimes. I try to tell them, if I don't
process your patch within the week, feel free to ping me about it.

-- Steve