[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] performance/scalability testing

Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk konrad at darnok.org
Thu Jun 28 11:10:33 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 12:32 AM, Alex Shi <alex.shi at intel.com> wrote:
> I am working on Intel LKP(Linux kernel performance) project for 5 years.
> I'd like to attend this meeting to join the discuss of kernel
> performance/scalability with Andi Kleen and Herbert Xu, I may bring
> ideas from testing view point.
>
> I like to share/discuss the following list if some one have interesting:
>
> 1, I like to share what we found or fixed performance issues
> in upstream kernel recent years.

That would be neat. Are the fixed issues rather mundane things
(like using a O(n^2) operations instead of better ones, or blowing away
caches?) Or are there more deeper than that touching multiple subsystems?

> 2, I like to share/discuss performance/scalability testing technical
> with detailed examples, like getting profile from
> systemtap/perf/oprofile/; getting precise time cost for specific kernel
> path; getting hardware profile from CPU PMU. These info may generated by
> generic benchmarks: specjbb/oltp/netperf, or by specific
> micro-benchmarks if generic benchmark is too heavy to introduce other
> interferes, or by set up stubs in kernel to measure specific kernel path.
>
> 3, I like to share/discuss how to implement a full automatic
> performance/power testing infrastructure to get kernel performance index
> on many benchmarks and different platforms. and how to find buggy
> commitment which trigger a performance/power regression on our
> platforms. also includes how to tuning and stabilise specific benchmarks.

This is a big project and it sounds quite awesome! Thought I am bit
confused - usually
when on does perf runs you crank up the CPU (so CPU governor is set to
performance) - but for power testing I would presume you would set it
to powersave? Both sound mutually exclusive?