[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] Your upstream maintainer just isn't that into you...

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Jun 27 21:07:55 UTC 2012

On 06/27/2012 01:55 PM, Dan Williams wrote:

> Right, that is not the maintainers job and there is no latency problem
> if the "go away you're not helping" response is delivered.  I just
> think Greg is on to something with a statement of "here's how long I
> think it will take me to get back to you".

You realize that just in a network protocol, *any* such response to the
particular type of individual will result in another useless response of
some kind, right?  This is how flamewars start; this particular kind of
flamewar is a particularly draining type, too.

And, once again, the maintainer is at the losing end of this one.  The
maintainer has real work to do, but for the contributor this just turned
into a fight for their professional reputation (and odds are very good
that the kind of contributor I'm talking about will not be able to take
this in the constructive direction.)

	-hpa