[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] Your upstream maintainer just isn't that into you...

Dan Carpenter dan.carpenter at oracle.com
Wed Jun 27 15:47:42 UTC 2012

Don't hint.  "On the internet, nobody can hear you being subtle".
I'm one of the most prolific contributors and I'm being ignored by
the scsi list...  Are you referring to me?  ;)

I don't think it's James ignoring me.  For SCSI, the patch has to go
into the vendor driver first, otherwise in six months they are just
poop out a 40,000 line diff that reverts every bugfix which didn't
go through their tree.  In staging we NAK those patches, but I think
SCSI has a lot of inertia so it may be too late to change now.
James has a difficult and thankless job.  I wouldn't be able to deal
with it.

Part of problem of bogus patches we do to ourselves with
checkpatch.pl.  I've suggested that we add a message about not
wasting maintainer time.  https://lkml.org/lkml/2010/11/25/322

I had one staging net-kook who I blocked permanently, but that's
pretty rare.  He had lots of warnings and his patches were really
bad.  I've seen Greg and Dave Miller block people for a week or two.
"Your patch is unacceptably bad.  I'm am blocking your email address
for the next week."

regards,
dan carpenter