[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] <ding> "Bring out your dead" <ding>...

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Wed Jun 27 14:52:16 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 26 June 2012, James Bottomley wrote:
> > Those are actually more likely to still in the hands of someone who
> > cares about them than the x86 PCs are. Removing EISA support might
> > imply killing a few platforms altogether.
>
> Well, but why?  EISA support seems to be nicely separated and the bus is
> discoverable so it's not like you have to poke at random locations to do
> discovery (unlike ISA); what actual problems is it causing?  I know I
> build it for PARISC even if I can't use it, so it certainly compiles.

Agreed, I think removing EISA support by itself helps much, other than
that it gets us closer to removing ISA card support eventually.

FWIW, this is a complete list of all device drivers supporting EISA:

drivers/net/ethernet/3com/3c509.c
drivers/net/ethernet/3com/3c59x.c
drivers/net/ethernet/8390/ac3200.c
drivers/net/ethernet/8390/es3210.c
drivers/net/ethernet/8390/lne390.c
drivers/net/ethernet/8390/ne3210.c
drivers/net/ethernet/8390/smc-ultra32.c
drivers/net/ethernet/amd/depca.c
drivers/net/ethernet/dec/tulip/de4x5.c
drivers/net/ethernet/hp/hp100.c
drivers/net/ethernet/ti/tlan.c
drivers/net/fddi/defxx.c
drivers/scsi/advansys.c
drivers/scsi/aha1740.c
drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/aic7770_osm.c
drivers/scsi/sim710.c

Most of these also do ISA or PCI, or they used to do MCA.

	Arnd