[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] <ding> "Bring out your dead" <ding>...

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Wed Jun 27 08:13:36 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 27 June 2012, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> > One serious issue is that we have things in the "arch" domain that are
> > there only because we keep using handcrafted ABIs for system calls
> > instead of picking rules that can be mechanized.
>
> The Alpha guys are particularly bad offenders here, or is this a
> separate issue?

The worst ones are generally those that got merged first AFAICT, so x86,
m68k, alpha and arm would be worse in this regard than powerpc, parisc,
sparc or sh, which in turn are worse than openrisc, hexagon or tile.

This doesn't mean they were doing the wrong thing back in when the
code was written, but we were certainly less careful when adding
new interfaces than we are now.

	Arnd