[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] <ding> "Bring out your dead" <ding>...

Frank Rowand frank.rowand at am.sony.com
Tue Jun 26 22:55:31 UTC 2012

On 06/26/12 12:55, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 June 2012, Paul Gortmaker wrote:

< snip >

>>  3) Things that are being considered for removal are least likely to
>>     see an advantage by being on the bleeding edge.  Take the MCA case.
>>     If you'll allow me the conclusion that MCA on 3.5 wouldn't have
>>     been any fundamentally better than MCA on 3.4 -- then you can
>>     get on the (semi announced) 3.4 LTSI train, and have a supported
>>     kernel base for your MCA that will take you well into the year 2014!
>
> Very interesting point. This could also help give some life to hobbyist
> projects. So if we were to remove ia64 support in 3.5, 3.4-ltsi could
> be the "official" ia64 upstream kernel until it gets replaced by
> 3.9-ltsi or so ;-)

That does not seem consistent with the purpose of LTSI.

Copying from the recent LinuxCon Japan presentation by Hisao Munakata
(https://events.linuxfoundation.org/images/stories/pdf/lcjp2012_munakata.pdf)
slides 13 and 14, code can be integrated to LTSI from:

  - upstream (several cases)
  - from SoC vendor
    - from SoC vendor tree
    - submitted upstream, still in review
    - not mainlined, chip workaround
  - from product producer, distribution
    - in-house bug-fix
    - private enhancement (with strict review)
  - others
    - not mainlined open-source project
      - ideally mainline attempt has been made
      - LTSI project will help re-attempt mainlining
    - LF / CEWG funded open project

-Frank