[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] <ding> "Bring out your dead" <ding>...

On Tue, 2012-06-26 at 19:55 +0000, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> > Linus mentioned that perhaps someday we might be able to remove EISA as
> > well.  It seems to make sense to me too, given that EISA (at least in
> > x86) was largely confined to 486 and 586 (sub-200MHz) server machines,
> > and largely all crushed out of existence by PCI around 1996.  But some
> > non-x86 boxes may rely on EISA -- such as some Alpha boxes, I think.
>
> Sounds reasonable to me, but only if the arch maintainers for
> mips, alpha and parisc are ok with this.

Personally, the oldest PA system I have is a B180 which is SBA (HP
specific bus) and PCI based.  However, I do see periodic bug reports
from systems with EISA busses ... but I don't remember seeing any actual
EISA bugs.

> Those are actually more likely to still in the hands of someone who
> cares about them than the x86 PCs are. Removing EISA support might
> imply killing a few platforms altogether.

Well, but why?  EISA support seems to be nicely separated and the bus is
discoverable so it's not like you have to poke at random locations to do
discovery (unlike ISA); what actual problems is it causing?  I know I
build it for PARISC even if I can't use it, so it certainly compiles.

James