[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] <ding> "Bring out your dead" <ding>...

Paul E. McKenney paulmck at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Jun 26 20:05:53 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 07:21:04PM +0000, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 June 2012, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> > I suggested dropping Alpha awhile back and got this URL in response:
> >
> >         http://www.alphalinux.org/wiki/index.php/User:Armin76/HW_list
> >
> > That said, I believe that Alpha-only bugs are accumulating, as there
> > are situations where only Alpha needs something like rcu_dereference()
> > and all other architectures are happy with ACCESS_ONCE().
>
> The bigger question is how many of those machines will ever get updated
> to new kernels. If the list says that Fedora 9 is installed, it might
> not actually work any more (it should of course, but it's been quite
> a while since that release was new, so who knows).

They do seem to be keeping the list itself up to date, last mod was
April 22, 2012.  Last I bugged them, several claimed to be keeping
up with mainline, but perhaps it would not hurt to ask again.

> Maybe it's time to start a linux-legacy kernel project and move stuff
> in there that we are no longer interested in having in the regular
> kernel. I don't think we should be doing this as long as the maintainer
> is reasonably active and prefers to have the code upstream, but if either
> there is no maintainer or the maintainer prefers to have his code in the
> legacy tree, we could have a fast-path out.

Makes sense to me, though as of 2010 the Alpha guys were definitely
interested in remaining in the Linux kernel.

							Thanx, Paul